Every Minister for Health in Australia should hang their heads in shame at what’s going on in our hospitals with safety of patients. Your failures as ministers are demonstrated by your continual ‘let’s have an inquiry’ to avoid facing facts.
How many times does MEAG have to raise the point that regional hospitals aren’t functioning? Many city ones aren’t either.
Not for fit for purpose? God help every Australian who ends up in hospital.
Go in healthy. Come out dead. It’s called a “clean kill” in medical circles.
CARDIFF, Wales – A hospital trust has removed a bust of a haemophilia expert who is at the centre of the contaminated blood scandal.
The bust of the late Professor Arthur BLOOM was removed from the haemophilia centre of the University Hospital of Wales Cardiff, after a campaign by families of some of those who were infected and requests from current patients. BLOOM, who died in 1992, was one of the UK’s (supposed) leading haematologists but his name has cropped up repeatedly during the infected blood inquiry. The blood scandal gets uglier as it exposes those who covered it up.
John Hunter Hospital in Newcastle and Maitland District Hospital make a lot of mistakes. The HNEH CEO just continues to ignore these escalating mistakes are under his watch and for all the years MEAG has pointed out patient harm and deaths, he remains in denial there is a problem.
The New South Wales government has promised to make sure there is no repeat of the “horrible mistake” that saw the wrong side of a patient’s bowel at the troubled public-private 488-bed Northern Beaches Hospital on Sydney’s north shore.
The patient has undergone further surgery, the third operation in as many days.
Minister for Health Brad Hazzard MP said the private hospital had advised NSW Health of the “serious event”. Err, what about the other “serious events” reported to your office, minister?
Allegedly, the outsourced pathology results has in some way contributed to the mistake.
Minister Hazzard has asked the hospital to provide all possible support for the patient and family. Would that be in making a complaint to the Health Care Complaints Commission?
French police investigating an anaesthesiologist in connection with multiple poisonings have added 17 new cases to their probe.
Doctor Frederic PECHIER, 47, was previously charged in 2017 in relation to 7 cases of poisoning public prosecutor Etienne Manteaux told reporters at a televised press conference Thursday, May 16, with the 24 total cases resulting in 9 deaths.
Pechier worked at two private clinics in Besancon, eastern France.
An Australian-trained doctor whose “glittering” medical career came to an end in “disgrace” after she overcharged a member of the Brunei royal family by millions of dollars, has forfeited her right to practise in the UK.
Britain is the second country to take action against now ex-doctor Susan Lim May Lee, who graduated from Monash University’s medical school in 1979, with the Singapore Medical Council suspending her 7 years ago.
It was while working in Singapore that Ms LIM treated the Queen of Brunei’s sister. It was discovered she had added hidden mark-ups to invoices that resulted in the patient, who was terminally ill, being overcharged by more than AUD$15.7million (£8 million), according to the UK Medical Practitioners Tribunal.
After being confronted by Bruneian authorities, Ms Lim immediately reduced the invoices by half.
But in 2012, the Singapore Medical Council found her guilty of 94 counts of professional misconduct, including 83 counts of overcharging. She was also found guilty of adding mark-up on her fees charged by third-party doctors on her invoices.
Read more in the UK Medical Practitioners Tribunal BMJ 2019